Mustard had the pleasure of speaking with Honeybee. Together we discussed their inspiration, their first single “Dear 17”, their positivity, and so much more! Check out the interview below!
1. Hello! Thanks for being here! How are you?
I am doing quite well today! It’s an honor to do this interview with you! As an indie singer/songwriter- people (or condiments) like you really help us get ourselves out there! I’m so thankful for y’all!
2. You wrote your first chorus when you were six about flying a kite. Have any of your current or future songs been inspired by moments like these?
Yes indeed! I’m sure many songwriters can relate- but sometimes i will experience something for the first time or the 100th time and suddenly get inspired to write or sing about it!
3. Mustard wonders who (or what) inspires you?
I mainly get inspired by various life experiences that either I’ve had or someone else has had. I also get inspiration from other singer songwriters and artists! It amazes me how much talent and uniqueness there is in each and everyone of us!
4. ‘Dear 17’ was your first single. It touches upon being able to relive your past. Could you share more about this single?
Yes of course! I wrote “dear 17” as if it were a letter to my younger self! The advice and encouragement that I wrote were things that I needed to hear a year ago; and things that I still need to remind myself of every now and then. I want this song to encourage my listeners no matter their ages and what their situations may be! “things will get better!” the problems and things we cry about today will probably be so small in a year or two. We just have to keep our heads up and take it one step at a time! We don’t have to figure it all out right now.
5. Mustard appreciates your positivity and good vibes. Positive thinking can be tough sometimes. What helps keep you positive?
To be honest, I struggle with being positive all the time. but my faith in God and healthy reminders like “what you’re going thru is temporary” helps me through hard times:)
6. “Strike a chord” is one of the most wholesome and heartwarming songs Mustard has had the pleasure of listening to. Was this your intention? Who (or what) inspired this single?
Aww thank you mustard! Yes i really wanted “strike a chord” to be a sweet love song that people can hear, enjoy, and even dance to! The song was born one night in December 2021. I was amazed because the lyrics and melodies poured out so effortlessly! (there’s also a few music puns in it- see if you can catch it!) “I’m not even in love with anyone!” I thought to myself. But as much as this song is meant for all the lovebirds out there- it’s also meant for people like me, who are waiting for the one, but who still enjoy singing sappy love songs!
7. “Fantasy” is your latest single. It takes the listener on quite the journey. Could you tell us more about fantasy?
“fantasy” was inspired from a place where i felt like i was never good enough for that one person in my life. and it talks about the hurt of being expected to be someone you’re not. I hope this song reaches and comforts the souls that feel the same way! and I hope this song can remind us to let go of our fantasies and unreachable expectations of each other. we can’t please everyone and that’s ok!
8. Do you have any upcoming projects?
Yes I do! I’m working on producing one of my favorite songs I’ve written (it’s perfect for summer and perfect for getting over someone!) and I cannot wait to share it with y’all!
9. Where can readers listen to your music?
You can find my music on spotify, apple, youtube, pandora, and more! just search up “honeybee” on your preferred streaming platform, sit back, relax, and enjoy! 😉