Mustard had the pleasure of speaking with New Zealand’s Eve Kelly who has been wowing members of Instagram with their covers. Together we discussed their earliest memory of music, their favorites places to travel, their time apart of an ABBA production, and so much more! Check it out below!
1. Hello! Mustard thanks you for being here! How are you doing?
Hello, thank you for having me 🙂 I’m doing great thank you!
2. Mustard wonders when you first began singing. Do you have a favorite childhood memory or song that you remember that inspired you?
I’ve been singing basically my whole life, first time I was on stage was at the age of 5 years old in the Musical “Burlesque on Broadway”.
I was a big lover of all the Disney films growing up, especially Lion King, so I guess the capturing story line and music involved in those films definitely put a spark in me!
3. Speaking of inspiration, who (or what) inspires you?
I can’t really pin it down to one person, at the end of the day, it’s anything Musical Theatre! I used to be obsessed with this Musical theatre performer “Sierra Bogges” for her insane vocals, her performance and how she seems so grounded in herself.
There is so many more incredibly performers, I also get taken away by the talent I’m surrounded by when doing contracts, so that also motivates me!
I love being taken on a journey through a song.
4. You’re a big traveler. How has traveling influenced your music? Where is your favorite place to travel? Where do you recommend all humans travel too at least once?
Yes, I absolutely LOVE to travel, coming from a small town in a small country (New Zealand), getting to see the world really opens up your eyes to the beauty of different cultures and stunning scenery! – mmm pinning it down to my favourite place is really tricky.. so here’s a few Vietnam, Croatia, Mexico, & Fiji…But honestly I love everywhere, and there’s so many more places I will definitely be visiting!
I reckon everyone should go to Hoi an in Vietnam, the most beautiful place, delicious food, beautiful lights, music, beach, ahh I want to go back!
5. Mustard’s bottle cap was blown away when they discovered one of your covers on Instagram reel. Do you have traditional vocal training? Do you have any tips or tricks those looking to improve their vocal performance?
Thank you! Yes, I was classically trained growing up, which I’m very grateful for, it gave me a really good base to go off.
Tips a tricks, honestly is just practice, practice, practice, be free when you sing, make sure you are completely comfortable with your singing teacher or surroundings when practicing so you don’t get embarrassed when you crack or make a funny note, cause that’s how you learn!
6. You were apart of Dancing Queen: A Tribute to ABBA. What was that experience like? Was this your first tour? Have you been on your tour since?
I absolutely loved being on stage singing and dancing to ABBA’s bangers! The talent I was surrounded by was insane, I’m grateful for the company for surrounding me with such talent.
7. Is there a big difference from performing on stage compared to a festival? Are there any similarities between the two?
Yes, I would definitely say there is similarities. It’s all entertainment at the end of the day, and if you capture people, or make people smile and dance you’ve done your job correctly!
8. Have you written any original music? Any chance it will end up on a streaming platform in the future?
have! Only recently though, I’m planning on recording my first song next month, which is SO EXCITING! I never really thought I’d go down the path of originals, but I’m so proud of myself for doing so.
Yes they’ll be on your well known platforms when I do release them, keep an eye on my Instagram @evekelly.music.
9. What’s next for Eve Kelly?
What’s next – would be releasing my original work! & auditioning for everything and anything I can now that the word is slowly opening back up.
10. Where can readers follow you?
Please follow me on my singing Instagram, @evekelly.music.