Mustard had the pleasure of speaking with Illbotz/and Knuckleheadz front-man Stevie D! Together we discussed the formation of Illbotz, their thoughts on Chick-Fil-A still being closed on Sundays, Knuckleheadz, and so much more! Check it out below!
1. Hello! Mustard thanks you for being here! How are you doing today?
Good. I finally beat Duck Tales on Gameboy today.
2. Yourself, along with Sam and Big Perm formed Illbotz in 2004. Can you recall the moment when Illbotz formed?
I’ll never forget it! We met backstage at a Bell Biv Devoe concert. We harmonized for Michael Bivins after the show and he signed us immediately. He also made us a nice quiche.
3. Did you have any other names in mind or were you collectively always Illbotz?
We thought of many names. Most were already taken like Funkdoobiest and The Smiths. We briefly thought of being called Illbots but that was just awful. I’m glad we chose Illbotz.
4. What do you consider to be the best Eric B verse?
Eric B dont rap yo! He was President tho. The best Rakim verse though is his guest verse on the “Do the Bartman” remix.
5. Illbotz has a vast discography. For those who have never listened to Illbotz before, which record should a new listener start with?
Start with “Shaq Fu: Da Return,” then “Surf Ninjas Soundtrack” then “Pudding Is Delicious.”
6. Chick-Fil-A remains closed on Sundays. Have you reached out to management about changing this? What is your go-to order at Chick-Fil-A?
Yes and they always say “New phone, who dis?” Or “WWJD?” Go to order is the spicy sandwich combo or the Big Sloppy.
7. In 2017 you formed Knuckleheadz with your son, Grandmaster Jax. Could you share the story behind the formation of Knuckleheadz?
My son Jax beat Big Perm in a game of Paw Patrol Trouble so he got to be my new rapping partner. Big Perm has been in seclusion ever since.
8. Is the name Knuckleheadz a reference to the Raekon song?
Its not but that’s a great song. Jax and I have actual knuckles on our heads. Its a birth defect. We decided to embrace it instead of be embarrassed by it. For all of those out there suffering from Knuckleheadz, we care if don’t nobody else care.
9. Mustard remembers the release of Na-Na-Na-Na-Boo-Boo. The lyrics are still stuck in Mustard’s plug. Was this based on actual events?
It was! We refer to that day as “Day of the doo doo.”
10. On December 13th Knuckleheadz released “No Sleep Till Bedtime.” How did it feel to release a full record with your son? Does Jax tell kids at school that he released a record?
It was amazing! DJ Samson’s review was “This album sounds way better than it should.” Jax actually doesn’t talk about it much. I think he thinks hes like Clark Kent at school and Superman after school.
11. Wu-Tang is for the children. When was Grandmaster Jax introduced to Wu-Tang Clan? Does he have a favorite Wu-Tang Clan member?
Oh, he was probably introduced to Wu at birth. We used to perform a rendition of “C.R.E.A.M.” but it was Cheese rules everything around me. His favorite member is Marky Mark.
12. Have you healed after touching the cheese?
I still can’t smell out of one nostril.
13. Following “No Sleep Till Bedtime” came “Mo Money, Mo Legos.” in 2020. What is Knuckleheadz’s favorite Lego set? Could you share more about this release?
Oh, the Run DMC Adidas shoe Lego set for sure. The album is ok. We rap on it.
14. Where can readers listen to your music?
At the trap. Also MySpace. Antoine the bootlegger may still have some cassettes.