Mustard had the pleasure of speaking with South Africa’s Future Radio. Together we discussed their relationship with Radio growing up, what happens in the future, their newest single “No One Else Will”, and so much more!
1. Mustard is grateful to have Future Radio join them at Music Shelf. How is everyone doing?
We’re doing fantastic, new release and all! And yourself?
2. Mustard wonders does Future Radio in operate in FM or AM frequency.
Haha, great question. World Wide!
3. How did Future Radio form? When did Future Radio officially become a band?
We’re based in Pretoria the capital city of South Africa. We officially launched the band in June 2020 and released our first single in August of that year.
4. Does Future Radio have a favorite radio program? Did each of you grow up listening to the radio?
We rarely listen to the radio these days, but the radio was a big part of our lives growing up.
5. As Future Radio can you share some information about what happens within the next few months?
Our new single, No One Else Will, is out this Friday (today)! Alongside this track, we’ll also release an acoustic version, lyric video and live version. We’re rolling a couple of shows as part of our Future Fire project and we have some other shows as well. There’s also some new merch on the way.
6. Who or what influences Future Radio?
We are inspired by beauty and art, cause essentially that’s some of the few things in life that really conjure up emotion. Our musical influences are quite vast, from jazz all the way through to hard rock.
7. What is Future Radio’s creative process?
With regard to songwriting, I (Johnny) like to record ideas on my phone until I get some time to flesh through them. After which I will write songs based on those ideas. I’ll record demos and share them with a couple of close friends, to see which ones work. Then only will I start polishing them towards the more final product.
8. Future Radio hosts a biweekly vlog. When did this idea originally spark? Who does the animation for the vlog?
Yeah, it’s become a tradition now. We thought it is a cool way to keep people updated on what’s happening in our world. All the Future Radio animations and artwork are done by my bandmate, Drikus Roets.
9. Mustard wonders who Future Radio did not want to fall in love with. What are some of the dangers of love?
Well for starters, it takes a lot of time, so be careful in which relationships you invest in. It also hurts when it doesn’t work out, but luckily we’re past that and in healthy, happy relationships.
10. What is Future Radio’s strategy to sink the ship? Who on the open seas is an enemy of Future Radio?
The best way is to drink loads of rum and then the rest is pretty easy. Combine rum, cannons and swords, and in no time you’ll sink a ship, maybe even your own. Our biggest enemy is time, and we’re fighting for every second.
11. What can fans expect from your upcoming single “No One Else Will?”
No One Else Will is a fast-paced and bold song that centres around the theme that if you don’t take a stand for yourself, nobody else will.
12. If Future Radio had their way, no one else would ever do what?
Not follow their passion.
13. A human gets the chance to see Future Radio perform. What is your live show like?
Our live shows are high-energy, interactive and reflect our contagious passion.
14. What is next for Future Radio?
World domination, hahaha. We’re releasing another 3 original songs this year with 3 more cover songs in our unique style. We’re playing as much as we can in South Africa but hope to book an international show this year, so watch this space.
15. Where can readers listen to your music?
On their favourite streaming platform!